A good way to get kids to eat tongue (if you must push the cholesterol…). Also good use for leftover tongue, if you are sick of cold tongue sandwiches.
|some||Cooked pickled tongue, sliced thinly|
|1-2 cups||reserved cooking water from tongue (if you didn’t save any, use broth or water with soup powder)|
|1||large onion, chopped well (best in food processor)|
|2 tbs||brown sugar|
|2/3 cup||yellow raisins|
- Fry onion in shallow pot (or frying pan with tall sides) until translucent (isn’t that a great word?! Say it slowly and you can actually see through the onion bits! Whoops! They’re burning by now!).
- Add the cooking water, vinegar, brown sugar & raisins. Stir well & taste.
- Add vinegar or sugar or salt/soup powder as necessary to balance the taste.
- Add sliced tongue and cook together 10 minutes.
- Serve hot. Or cold. Or room teperature... just serve it already, I'm hungry!