This cake can be eaten as is, made into a layer cake with chocolate frosting, used for a base for strawberry shortcake, made into a cake roll filled with whipped cream or jelly and covered with powdered sugar.
This cake was also the first and favorite cake made by Ima for great-grandson Kfir almost every week.
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup orange and lemon juice mixed
- 1 tsp. grated orange peel
- Separate eggs
- Put whites into large mixer bowl and yellows into small mixer bowl.
- Beat whites till stiff.
- Beat yellows with sugar.
- Add flour mixed with baking powder alternatley with the juice.
- Add orange peel.
- Mix by hand a few tablespoons of the whites into the yellow mixture.
- Mix the yellow mixture into the white a few tablespoons at a time, very carefully till you get them all in, and the mixture is uniform.
- Pour into an appropriate baking pan sprayed with oil spray. (bundt, layers, flat etc.)
- Bake in a preheated oven till ready.