This cake is "old faithful". It always comes out great, it can be made in a flat pan, layers and even cupcakes. I've been making it for 30 years. Every party or occassion the kids had - this cake is a favorite. This is the only cake Einat knew how to make untill Rafi taught her how to cook.
- 1 cup margerine
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 6 tbs. cocoa
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (or yogurt)
- 1 tsp. vanilla (or vanilla sugar)
- Melt margerine in water. Bring to a boil. (Since the microwave, I just put the margerine and water in a glass bowl and heat in the microwave).
- Combine sugar, flour, baking powder and cocoa in a bowl.
- Add melted margerine and water.
- Stir in eggs.
- Mix soda into buttermilk and add to batter.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Pour into greased flat pan, 2 layer pans or approx. 24 cup cake holders.
- Bake medium heat approx. 30 min. or until top is set and toothpick comes out clean.
- Great with any kind of frosting.
note: can be mixed by hand or mixer.