Serves Elisheva - she loves it!
I (Elisheva) used to love this dish, until Ema made it every time I came home from the Technion, until I couldn’t stand it! But it is still great for a buffet or as an easy, quick “second meat” for Friday night supper. Beware of the cholesterol!
|a few||Bay leaves, allspice, peppercorns - optional|
- Put the Tongue into the pressure cooker. Don’t rinse – you want all the
clinging spices! Cover with water. You can add a few Bay leaves,
allspice, peppercorns etc.
- Cook on full pressure for 30 minutes.
out, put on plate. Now you have to peel the tongue (GROSS!!!!). You
have to do this while it is still warm, or it’s hell getting the thin
skin off. So usually you try to get it over with and burn your fingers.
(Don’t worry – how do you think Ema got “Teflon” hands that can take
out a hot pan from the oven, without looking for mitts!). By the way –
the cat loves eating the skin…
- Cover the peeled tongue & cool. Put in refrigerator until cold.
- When cold, slice thinly (same as in Corned Beef recipe) - Take good knife (sharpen for good measure, and push the cat off the counter. You can also yell – no food for you! Go away! Or, give her small bits while cutting. Depends on your mood.) or electric knife (better, and Baloo the cat doesn’t come) and slice thinly.
- Serve cold. If there are kids at the table, you can hang a slice from your lips and say – “do you want some tongue?!”