This is one of the first recipes I got from Ima when I started to cook.
There is an easy version and an even easier one!
for more info on Cholent see - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholent
- 1 bag white beans
- 1 onion
- 1 kg. beef cubes
- 6 potatoes
- 1 tbs. onion soup mix
- 1 tbs. sugar
- 1 tbs. soy sauce
- 2 teeth garlic
- Soak beans overnight.
- Fry onion and garlic.
- Add beef and brown.
- Add beans and water to cover.
- Add potatoes, soup mix, sugar, soy sauce.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add Kishke (after you pierce a few holes in it)
- Cover and put on a hot plate overnight.
For the easier and quicker version:
- Use a pressure cooker.
- Follow the preperation steps up to "bring to a boil"
- Close the pressure cooker and cook under pressure for 1 hour.
- When pressure goes down, open the cooker, add the kishke and cook for and additional hour without pressure.